What is Blue Light and How to Protect Your Skin from It?
Screens have become an essential part of our daily routine. From binge-watching to online classes to internet shopping, we're in front of screens for more than 10 hours a day, seven days a week. This continual exposure to blue light has a negative impact on our skin. Let's start by defining blue light and how it affects our skin health.
What is Blue Light?
Blue light is the lowest wavelength of visible light. It has the shortest wavelength and is closest to ultraviolet radiation, which causes photo-ageing. The sun is the primary source of blue light. However, with the increasing use of digital products, we've been exposed to a variety of sources of blue light.
How Does Blue Light Affect Your Skin?
Blue light can induce oxidative damage in the skin. Collagen breakdown results from oxidative stress, which causes fine lines and wrinkles. This process is also known as photo-ageing. Blue light radiation penetrates deep into the skin's cellular layer, causing serious skin conditions. Blue light protective skincare works by preventing the skin from coming into direct contact with blue light. Hence, the need of the hour to apply blue light-protective skincare to maintain and enhance skin health.
How to Protect Your Skin from Blue Light?
Screens are here to stay, and no matter how much they bother us, we cannot replace them. We can only shield our skin from screens and save ourselves from digital pollution. Certain skincare products and shielding methods can, however, help us minimize the effect of blue light. Let's get started!
Here's how you can reduce the effect of blue light on the skin:
- Use the Blue Light Protection Cream: The blue light protection cream helps in safeguarding your skin from the blue light radiations. It acts as a protective barrier between your skin and harmful IR and UV rays. Packed with the goodness of Niacinamide, Vitamin E, Fucogel, and Witch Hazel Extract, Fabbeu’s blue light protection cream helps restore the skin barrier. It nourishes, moisturises, and soothes the skin, thus shielding it from the harmful effects of the blue light. It prevents premature ageing caused by blue light and effectively reduces the harmful effects of digital pollution. Blue light protection cream is thus your ultimate power to safeguard your skin from harmful blue light.
- Using antioxidant-rich skincare products: Vitamin C, E, green tea extract, and resorcinol in skin care products help to combat the free radicals produced by blue light. These active components assist restore the skin's barrier and physically block blue light from reaching the skin. For the best results, experts recommend using products that include zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, or iron oxide. However, it is important to consult your dermatologist before choosing skin care products.
- Cut down on blue-light exposure: Besides wearing blue light protective skincare, try to cut down on blue light exposure. Avoid screens when you can, and keep the night mode on, on your devices.
- Use Blue light blocking glasses: Blue light blockers ease the strain on your eyes. This relaxes the skin below your eyes, reducing inflammation. Using blue light protection glasses will minimize the puffiness of the eyes and reduce dark circles.
Blue light is unavoidable. Blue light has been linked to a variety of problems, including sleep deprivation and mental issues. We can't totally eliminate blue light exposure. However, we can always do what we can to avoid its harmful effects. Using the blue light protection cream, minimizing blue light exposure and taking appropriate actions against it will surely help us in the long run.
Teen Skin and How to Care for it
On a random day, you wake up and see this big fat pimple on your face. You’re already messed up. You’re trying hard to cope with the changes your body is undergoing. You’re on this emotional rollercoaster and now this! All you think is ‘why me!’ But don’t stress. You’re not alone.
Skin struggles are the part and parcel of almost every teenager’s life. However, the good news is that there’s a solution for every skin problem. All you need to do is give your skin the love it longs for.
What makes the skin go crazy in these years?
Skin breakouts begin to appear in these exact years. The hormonal surge in your body causes the skin to produce excessive sebum. Hence making it oily and greasy. This excess oil traps in all the dirt, dust from the surroundings, making things worse.
Yet, there’s a silver lining to this. Teen skin is tough and resilient which makes it easier to heal. It can regenerate quickly to set you free from all those skin struggles. This is the time when your skin needs attention. With proper skincare during the early teen years, you can save your skin from further damage.
And to help you give yourself the gift of healthy skin, here are a few tips. Dig right in!
Here’s how you can take care of your skin:
- Cleanse your face twice a day
Just as you brush your teeth every day, wash your face twice a day no matter what skin type you have. It is a common myth to not use face wash on dry skin as it could worsen the condition. For dry skin, opt for a gentle hydrating facewash. Cleansers containing salicylic acid are a good fit for oily and combination skin types. Cleansing helps the skin to remove any impurities and open up the clogged pores. Make sure you use a gentle cleanser that does not irritate your skin.
- Moisturise your skin:
Wear a moisturizer every day. A moisturizer helps the skin to lock hydration. Hydrated skin feels softer and plumper. Moisturizing also prevents dry skin problems such as redness, rashes, and irritation. Make sure you choose a moisturizer that suits your skin type. And the one that sinks deep into your skin without blocking the pores.
- Stay Hydrated
Water has some amazing benefits on the skin. Drinking enough water flushes out toxins from the body giving you healthier skin. It helps in maintaining the pH balance of the skin. The puffiness of the skin is reduced and skin appears tighter and more elastic. Skin feels fresh and hydrated which further helps in healing acne and signs of ageing.
- Maintain a healthy diet
Junk, oily food are your skin’s biggest enemies. Healthier the food, healthier the skin. Make sure you take a balanced diet. Include fresh fruits and veggies in your diet. Add skin supplements such as almonds, avocados, and hazelnuts. Opt for Vitamin E rich foods that support skin growth. Avoid dairy products and excessive sweets.
- Don’t burst pimples
There could be this strong urge to pop the pimple off. But that does more bad than good. Bursting pimples results in increased irritation and redness. Moreover, they would leave marks and scars on the face. Undergo an effective acne treatment that would heal your skin from inside. Avoid falling for harmful instant hacks.
- Exfoliate once a week
Exfoliating your skin is one of the essential parts of skincare. Exfoliating once a week helps your skin to buff away dead skin cells and deep-rooted impurities. This helps in getting rid of blackheads and whiteheads. You can use a scrub or a face mask once every week for gentle exfoliation. Regular exfoliation helps regenerate skin cells and give you skin that feels clean and fresh.
- Maintain a night skincare routine
Don’t forget the night skincare routine. Wash off the entire day’s stress, dirt, dust and pollutants from the skin. Make sure you remove any makeup before going to bed. Take care of your eyes and lips by using appropriate eye gels, and lip balms. Doing this would help the skin rejuvenate and heal itself while you’re asleep.
Teen skincare can sometimes be stressful. However, with enough patience and discipline, you can overcome most of the skin problems that arise as a result of adolescence. Implementing positive lifestyle changes, getting a proper skincare routine, and sticking to it is something that you can do instead of stressing yourself out. This is the time you rediscover yourself. So, why not embrace and start loving yourself right from this stage?